IOTA was established on October 11, 2017 in Vancouver, Canada to fulfill the following goals:
- Promote international orthopaedic and musculoskeletal trauma care, including patient care, education, and research.
- Allocate venues for and monitor progress of a triennial International Orthopaedic Trauma Association Annual (IOTA) Meeting.
- Organize a face-to-face meeting at each triennial meeting and each Orthopaedic Trauma Association (OTA) Annual Meeting.
- Provide a means for Member organizations to enhance international collaboration in research, education, teaching, and program development.
- Support the development of Orthopaedic Trauma organizations globally.
Additional details are also available in the IOTA Charter.