These articles have been recommended as excellent sources of educational information. The permission of each varies.
- Essential radiographic evaluation for distal radius fractures. Author: Medoff RJ. Hand Clin. 2005 Aug;21(3):279-88.
- Complex Articular Fractures of the Distal Radius: Classification and Management Author: Jesse B. Jupiter, MD Journal: JAAOS Volume: Vol. 5, No. 3, May/June 1997, pp 119-129
- AAOS Clinical Practice Guideline Summary: Treatment of Distal Radius Fractures. Author: Lichtman DM, Bindra RR, Boyer MI, et al. J Am Acad Orthop surg. 2010; 18(3):180-189.
- Prediction of instability in distal radial fractures. Author: Mackenney PJ, McQueen MM, Elton R. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2006 Sep;88(9):1944-51.
- Conservative Interventions for Treating Distal Radial Fractures in Adults (Review) Author: Handoll HHG, Madhok R Journal: Cochrane Review Volume: © 2003
- A prospective randomized trial comparing nonoperative treatment with volar locking plate fixation for displaced and unstable distal radial fractures in patients sixty-five years of age and older. Author: Arora R, Lutz M, Deml C, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011 Dec 7;93(23):2146-53.
- Redisplaced Unstable Fractures of the Distal Radius: A Prospective Randomised Comparison of Four Methods of Treatment Author: McQueen, M. M.; Hajducka, C.; Court-Brown, C. M. Journal: JBJS(Br) Volume: Vol. 78-B, No. 3, May 1996, pp 404-409
- Unstable Colles' fractures in elderly patients. A randomised trial of external fixation for redisplacement. Author: Roumen RM, Hesp WL, Bruggink ED. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991 Mar;73(2):307-11.
- The impact of patient activity level on wrist disability after distal radius malunion in older adults. Author: Nelson GN, Stepan JG, Osei DA, et al. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Apr;29(4):195-200.
- Complications Following Distal Radial Fractures Author: Jesse B. Jupiter, MD, and Diego L. Fernandez, MD Instr Course Lect. 2002;51:203-19.
- Displaced intra-articular fractures of the distal aspect of the radius. Long-term results in young adults after open reduction and internal fixation. Author: Catalano LW 3rd, Cole RJ, Gelberman RH, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1997 Sep;79(9):1290-302. 1
- Intra-articular fractures of the distal end of the radius in young adults: reexamined as evidence-based and outcomes medicine. Author: Haus BM, Jupiter JB. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009 Dec;91(12):2984-91.
- A Randomized Prospective Study on the Treatment of Intraarticular Distal Radius Fractures: Open Reduction and Internal Fixation with Dorsal Plating versus Mini Open Reduction, Percutaneous Fixation, and External Fixation. Author: Grewal R, Perey B, Wilmik M, Stothers K. J Hand Surg. 2005; 30(4):764-772.
- External Fixation versus Open Reduction with Plate Fixation for Distal Radius Fractures: A Meta-Analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials. Author: Esposito J, Schemitsch EH, Saccone M, Sternheim A, Kuzyk PR. Injury. 2013 Apr; 44(4):409-16
- External fixation versus internal fixation for unstable distal radius fractures: a systematic review and meta-analysis of comparative clinical trials. Author: Wei DH, Poolman RW, Bhandari M, et al. J Orthop Trauma. 2012 Jul;26(7):386-94.
- Comparison of external and percutaneous pin fixation with plate fixation for intra-articular distal radial fractures. A randomized study. Author: Leung F, Tu YK, Chew WY, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Jan;90(1):16-22.
- Indirect Reduction and Percutaneous Fixation versus Open Reduction and Internal Fixation for Displaced Intra-Articular Fractures of the Distal Radius: A Randomised, Controlled Trial Author: H. J. Kreder, D. P. Hanel, J. Agel, M. McKee, E. H. Schemitsch, T. E. Trumble, D. Stephen Journal: JBJS(Br) Volume: Vol. 87-B, No. 6, June 2005, pp 829-836
- A Randomized, Controlled Trial of Distal Radius Fractures With Metaphyseal Displacement but Without Joint Incongruity: Closed Reduction and Casting Versus Closed Reduction, Spanning External Fixation, & Optional Percutaneous K-wires Author: Hans J. Kreder, MD,* Julie Agel, MA,† Michael D. McKee, MD, FRCS(C),‡ Emil H. Schemitsch, MD, MPH, FRCS(C),‡ David Stephen, MD,* & Douglas P. Hanel, MD† Journal: JOT Volume: Vol. 20, No. 2, Feb 2006, pp 115-121
- Plating of the Distal Radius Author: Arvind D. Nana, MD, Atul Joshi, MD, and David M. Lichtman, MD Journal: JAAOS Volume: Vol. 13, No. 3, May/June 2005, pp 159-171
- Volar Fixed-Angle Plating of the Distal Radius Author: Dean W. Smith, MD, and Mark H. Henry, MD Journal: JAAOS Volume: Vol. 13, No. 1, Jan/Feb 2005, pp 28-36
- Volar Plate Position and Flexor Tendon Rupture Following Distal Radius Fracture Fixation. Author: Kitay A, Swanstrom M, Schreiber JJ, Carlson MG, Nguyen JT, Weiland AJ, Daluiski A J Hand Surg Am. 2013 Jun;38(6):1091-6.
- Combined Dorsal and Volar Plate Fixation of Complex Fractures of the Distal Part of the Radius Author: David Ring, Karl Prommersberger and Jesse B. Jupiter Journal: JBJS Volume: Vol. 86-A, No. 8, Aug 2004, pp 1646-1652
- Distal Radioulnar Joint Instability Author: Robert M. Szabo, MD, MPH Journal: JBJS Volume: Vol. 88-A, No. 4, April 2006, pp 883-894 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16615200
- Acceleration of Tibia and Distal Radius Fracture Healing in Patients Who Smoke Author: Stephen D. Cook, PhD*; John P. Ryaby**; Joan McCabe, RN**; John J. Frey, PhD; James D. Heckman, MD; and Thomas K. Kristiansen, MD Journal: CORR Volume: No. 337, pp 198-207, 1997