These articles have been recommended as excellent sources of educational information. The permission of each varies.
PELVIC RING (CLASSIFICATION/ANATOMY)
- Pelvic Ring Disruptions: Effective Classification System and Treatment Protocols. Author: Burgess AR, Eastridge BJ, Young JW, et al. J Trauma. 1990;30(7):848-856.
- Radiologic evaluation of the pelvis. Mostafavi HR, Tornetta P 3rd. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996 Aug;(329):6-14.
- Radiographic quantification and analysis of dysmorphic upper sacral osseous anatomy and associated iliosacral screw insertions. Author: Conflitti JM, Graves ML, Chip Routt ML Jr. J Orthop Trauma. 2010 Oct;24(10):630-6.
- Biomechanical simulation of the anteroposterior compression injury of the pelvis. An understanding of instability and fixation. Author: Simonian PT, Routt ML Jr, Harrington RM, et al. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994 Dec;(309):245-56.
PELVIC RING (SACRUM)
- Sacral Fractures Author: Samir Mehta , MD , Joshua D. Auerbach, MD, Christopher T. Born, MD, and Kingsley R. Chin, MD Journal: JAAOS Volume: Vol. 14, No. 12, November 2006, pp 656-665
- Diagnosis and Management of Sacral Spine Fractures Author: Alexander R. Vaccaro, David H. Kim, Darrel S. Brodke, Mitchel Harris, Jens Chapman, Thomas Schildhauer, M.L. Chip Routt and Rick C. Sasso Journal: JBJS Volume: Vol. 86-A, No. 1, Jan 2004, pp 165-175
- Percutaneous placement of iliosacral screws without electrodiagnostic monitoring. Author: Gardner MJ, Farrell ED, Nork SE, et al. J Trauma. 2009 May;66(5):1411-5.
- Iliosacral Screw Fixation: Early Complications of the Percutaneous Technique. Author: Routt ML Jr, Simonian PT, Mills WJ. J Orthop Trauma. 1997;11(8):584-589.
- Internal Fixation of Unstable Pelvic Ring Injuries. Author: Matta JM, Tornetta P III. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1996;329:129-140.
- OTA highlight paper predicting future displacement of nonoperatively managed lateral compression sacral fractures: can it be done? Author: Bruce B, Reilly M, Sims S. J Orthop Trauma. 2011 Sep;25(9):523-7.
- Nonoperative Immediate Weight Bearing of Minimally Displaced Lateral Compression Sacral Fractures Does Not Result in Displacement. Author: Sembler Soles GL, Lien J, Tornetta P 3rd. J Orthop Trauma. 2012 Oct;26(10):563-7.
- Nonoperative Treatment of Intermediate Severity Lateral Compression Type 1 Pelvic Ring Injuries with Minimally Displaced Complete Sacral Fracture. Author: Gaski GE, Manson TT, Castillo RC, Slobogean GP, OʼToole RV. J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Dec;28(12):674-80.
PELVIC RING (SYMPHYSIS)
- Examination under anesthetic for occult pelvic ring instability. Author: Sagi HC, Coniglione FM, Stanford JH. J Orthop Trauma. 2011 Sep;25(9):529-36.
- Internal fixation of the unstable anterior pelvic ring: a biomechanical comparison of standard plating techniques and the retrograde medullary superior pubic ramus screw. Author: Simonian PT, Routt ML Jr, Harrington RM, et al. J Orthop Trauma. 1994 Dec;8(6):476-82.
- Comparative Radiographic and Clinical Outcome of Two-hole and Multi-hole Symphyseal Plating. Author: Sagi HC, Papp S. J Orthop Trauma. 2008;22(6):373-378.
- Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of a Traumatic Diastasis of the Pubic Symphysis: One-year Radiological and Functional Outcomes. Author: Putnis SE, Pearce R, Wali, UJ, Bircher MD, Rickman MS. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011;93(1):78-84.
PELVIC RING (POLYTRAUMA)
- Circumferential Pelvic Antishock Sheeting: A Temporary Resuscitation Aid Author: M.L. Chip Routt, Jr., Alexis Falicov, Emma Woodhouse, and Thomas A Schildhauer Journal: JOT Volume: Vol. 20, No. 1 Supp, Jan 2006, pp S3-S6
- Innominosacral Dissociation: Mechanism of Injury as a Predictor of Resuscitation Requirements, Morbidity, and Mortality Author: M. Gordon Whitbeck Jr., H. Jay Zwally II, and Andrew R. Burgess Journal: JOT Volume: Vol. 20, No. 1 Supp, Jan 2006, pp S57-S63
- Pelvic fracture in multiple trauma: classification by mechanism is key to pattern of organ injury, resuscitative requirements, and outcome. Dalal SA, Burgess AR, Siegel JH, et al. J Trauma. 1989 Jul;29(7):981-1000; discussion 1000-2.
- Pelvic fracture patterns and their corresponding angiographic sources of hemorrhage. Author: Metz CM, Hak DJ, Goulet JA, et al. Orthop Clin North Am. 2004 Oct;35(4):431-7
- Auditing 655 fatalities with pelvic fractures by autopsy as a basis to evaluate trauma care. Author: Papadopoulos IN, Kanakaris N, Bonovas S, et al. J Am Coll Surg. 2006 Jul;203(1):30-43.
- Non-operative Management of Acetabular Fractures. The Use of Dynamic Stress Views. Author: Tornetta P 3rd. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1999 Jan;81(1):67-70.
- Displaced acetabular fractures: indications for operative and nonoperative management. Author: Tornetta P 3rd. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2001 Jan-Feb;9(1):18-28.
- Fractures of the acetabulum: Classification and surgical approaches for open reduction. Preliminary report. Author: Judet R, Judet J, Letournel E. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1964 Dec;46:1615-46.
- The computerized tomography subchondral arc: a new method of assessing acetabular articular continuity after fracture (a preliminary report). Author: Olson SA, Matta JM. J Orthop Trauma. 1993;7(5):402-13.
- Roof-arc angle and weight-bearing area of the acetabulum. Author: Chuckpaiwong B, Suwanwong P, Harnroongroj T. Injury. 2009 Oct;40(10):1064-6.
- Determining Stability in Posterior Wall Acetabular Fractures. Author: Firoozabadi R, Spitler C, Schlepp C, et al. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Oct;29(10):465-9.
- Computed tomographic assessment of fractures of the posterior wall of the acetabulum after operative treatment. Author: Moed BR, Carr SE, Gruson KI, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2003 Mar;85-A(3):512-22.
- Fractures of the acetabulum. Early results of a prospective study. Author: Matta JM, Mehne DK, Roffi R. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1986 Apr;(205):241-50.
- Operative treatment of acetabular fractures through the ilioinguinal approach: a 10-year perspective. Author: Matta JM. J Orthop Trauma. 2006 Jan;20(1 Suppl):S20-9.
- Acetabular Fracture Fixation via a Modified Stoppa Limited Intrapelvic Approach. Description of Operative Technique and Preliminary Treatment Results. Author: Cole JD, Bolhofner BR. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1994 Aug;(305):112-23.
- Evolution of the anterior intrapelvic (Stoppa) approach for acetabular fracture surgery. Author: Guy P. J Orthop Trauma. 2015 Feb;29 Suppl 2:S1-5.
- Two to Twenty-year Survivorship of the Hip in 810 Patients with Operatively Treated Acetabular Fractures. Author: Tannast M, Najibi S, Matta JM. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Sep 5; 94(17):1559-67.
- Acetabular fractures in the elderly: evaluation and management. Author: Butterwick D, Papp S, Gofton W, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 May 6;97(9):758-68.
- Functional Outcomes of Elderly Patients With Nonoperatively Treated Acetabular Fractures That Meet Operative Criteria. Author: Ryan SP, Manson TT, Sciadini MF, et al. J Orthop Trauma. 2017 Dec;31(12):644-649.
- Embolization of Pelvic Arterial Injury is a Risk Factor for Deep Infection after Acetabular Fracture Surgery. Author: Manson TT, Perdue PW, Pollak AN, OʼToole RV. J Orthop Trauma. 2013 Jan; 27(1):11-5.
- Double-crush syndrome after acetabular fractures. A sign of poor prognosis. Author: Giannoudis PV, Da Costa AA, Raman R, et al. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Mar;87(3):401-7.
- Indomethacin Prophylaxis for Heterotopic Ossification After Acetabular Fracture Surgery Increases the Risk for Nonunion of the Posterior Wall. Author: Sagi HC, Jordan CJ, Barei DP, Serrano-Riera R, Steverson B. J Orthop Trauma. 2014 Jul; 28(7):377-83.
- Indomethacin Compared with Localized Irradiation for the Prevention of Heterotopic Ossification Following Surgical Treatment of Acetabular Fractures. Author: Burd TA1, Lowry KJ, Anglen JO. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2001 Dec; 83-A(12):1783-8.
- Single-leg-stance radiographs in the diagnosis of pelvic instability. Author: Siegel J, Templeman DC, Tornetta P 3rd. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2008 Oct;90(10):2119-25.
- Functional Outcomes in Women After High-Energy Pelvic Ring Injury. Author: Vallier HA, Cureton BA, Schubeck D, Wang XF. J Orthop Trauma. 2012;26(5):296-301