Must be proficient in casting, bracing, and orthotics. Must be able to demonstrate ability to apply, modify, and remove upper and lower extremity casts, and work with traction. Must have demonstrated ability to work with DME supplies and vendors. Will be responsible for DME and casting supplies inventory. Will assist physicians with clinical activities. This position may be required to travel to other outpatient locations as well as assist with evening clinics.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
The standard of practice is described by the National Associate of Orthopaedic Techs. An Ortho Tech in a clinic or office setting can be asked to do the following:
- Order Orthopaedic equipment and supplies.
- Take necessary measurements (i.e. grip strength, leg lengths).
- Remove sutures, staples, Steinman pins and K-wires.
- Change dressing and care for wounds.
Apply, adjust and remove casts.
- Assist with aspirations and prepare injections.
- Record patient's blood pressure, pulse and weight.
- Phone and chart medication ordered by the physician.
- Assist Orthopaedic Surgeon in reduction of fractures.
- Review standard admitting and pre-op instructions for patients having surgery.
- Assist in making follow-up appointments and consultation appointments with other specialists for patients.
- Measure and fit patients for braces and other Orthopaedic devices.
- Instruct patient in pre and post-operative care.
- Instruct patient in proper care of cast and splints.
- Clean and stock patient exam and treatment rooms.
- Adhere to established clinic/office policy and procedure directives.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
Required to travel to other outpatient clinic sites dependent on business needs. Will be asked to provide occasional coverage of Orthopedic Convenience Care Clinics - evenings and weekends may be required.
Minimum Qualifications (mandatory):
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- Two years' experience in orthopedics.
- Must have reliable transportation in order to travel between clinic locations.
- Certification as Orthopaedic Technologist.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Cast cuter, miscellaneous patient-care equipment.
Classified Title: Orthopaedic Technologist
Working Title: Orthopaedic Technologist
Starting Salary Range: $18.67-$25.68 (commenusurate with experience) Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Standard hours of Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00, some weekends and evenings required. Travel required.
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: 25-MD:JH at Columbia Center
Department name: 10003462-SOM Ortho Clinic Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/2012784